Want a 2 Second Review? Skip to the Bottom Line section at the end of the post!
- Pages: 32
- Ages: 4-8
- Grades: Pre-3
- Theme: There’s nothing but truth in advertising here: This is a book of empathy. It’s all about feelings.
- Words: The sentences are so simple and straightforward, which makes each word even more powerful.
- Images: The artwork has a wonderful balance of color. It’s both bold and soft at the same time. The lines flow, and feeling oozes from each drawing. The main character drawn is also a child of color, which adds elements of diversity inclusion, which I love.
- Bye, Buy, or Borrow: Buy! There’s a reason this is a bestseller. It’s an all-around amazing book with a positive message that’s easy to read and understand at almost any age. It’s brilliant. It’s the kind of book I wish I’d written. It’s beautiful in the best ways – a great piece to keep on a bookshelf for years to come, just an arm’s length away when you need a pick-me-up on a tough day.
- Bonus: Both creators, author Susan Verde and illustrator Peter H. Reynolds, have loads of other projects out there. While I haven’t reviewed any of them yet, with a book this good in their collections, they’re probably worth a look!